Tuesday, January 31, 2006

Feeling the pain


So, I was invited to play basketball this morning with a group of ladies from the Stake at one of the church buildings here in Simi. They said to just bring Colin & he could run around the stage with all the other kiddos while the moms played hoops. I was excited! I went & showed up with about 12 other women & their little kids. Colin had a great time playing & did really well behaving. We started out playing Lightning or Knock Out...whichever you prefer. I came in second. The lady that won never missed! She is really good from the outside & fast up & down the court. We played 5 on 5, man-man, full court. I was assigned to guard the Lightning winner. After about 5 minutes, I was ready to sit out. These women are amazing! One of them is about 3 months pregnant. Another was nursing during her rotation out & then came right back in up & down the court! I jammed my right ring finger really good. My lungs are still recovering...I keep coughing because I can' t take in a deep breath. I was able to make some awesome breakaway lay-ups & bounce passes inside. I even bounce passed one into the key right between my defenders legs. They all razzed me about that one. All in all, it was so much fun. I was "accepted" & invited back to play Thursday morning. We don't keep score & we don't play against wards. Just show up & play for and hour & 1/2, until the kids are all crying, or until we can't go anymore. Some of them have been playing for a few years & it shows. I have a lot of catching up to do stamina wise. I haven't played full court since high school. It was great to play with & get to know some of the other women in the stake.

On another note, Wood Ranch called & has an opening for Craig! He will start tomorrow. I dont' have to do drop off & pick up at 2 different schools anymore!!!!! He is sad because he made some great new friends at Arroyo. His teacher, Mrs. Bennett was really cool too. He liked having a teacher named Mrs. Bennett because it reminded him of Chris' friend Mark Bennett....who is no relation....we don't think. She was really sweet to Craig & we will miss her. Craig's new teacher's name is Mrs. Finn. I'll give you a report on his new class as things unravel there. We hear she has a cluster of GT kids in her class, so Craig should have a better opportunity to do GT activities at Wood Ranch.

We are heading down to Bob's house to watch the Super Bowl Sunday. Cassie can't wait to see the horses again. It is so nice to live so close to someone where you can do a day trip! I hope Bob & Mel won't get sick of us.

Cassie & Craig are having a read-a-thon at their schools for the month of FEB. What are your favorite children's novels? We need to go check out some good books. Craig reads like 200 pages a day. I can't ever keep enough new stories around for him. And I'm running out of leads of titles to check out for him. He loves the Tennis Shoe Mystery book mom got him.

Love & miss everyone!
Christine

3 comments:

Jenni said...

Go Christine! Way to handle the women on the court! If I were playing (which technically I don't even think you could use the term "playing" and "basketball" in the same sentence when you're using it in conjunction with me) you would smoke me...guarenteed. I'd shoot at the wrong basket or something. Sounds like a lot of fun! And good luck to Craig at Wood Ranch! Hooray for one drop off in the mornings!

The Dunford Family said...

Chirstine~sounds like so much fun! Obviously you know that I'd be in the same place as Jenni. Briggs is fastly approaching Craig's reading quota. He reads the Magic Treehouse books too quickly. So, my sister Kelli sent him Jakob's old Goosebump books...he likes them, but they also don't last very long. She sent him around 30 books and he's already read almost half. I'm at a loss. and not much help either, sorry. Miss you, love the blogs, keep em up!

Don said...

WOW! I'm impressed that women get together and play basketball! That is so cool!

Keep it up and you'll be numero uno.

Love ya!

dp