Thursday, July 05, 2007

Sizzling in July

We were starting to wonder if we would ever get a summer up here in Newberg. June wasn't exactly warm. The last week we were running a space heater downstairs in our basement. But, today the temps have soared & it looks like the heat has arrived in time for July. I'm hoping the raspberries are all out there on the vine just bursting so I can go pick up a few flats & do jam this weekend.

After recouping from our trip to St. George a few weeks ago, we got back into our routines around home. Cassie is back in water polo & will start lifeguard training in another week. The kids & I went & got library cards & found a good storytime to take Colin to every week. We are anxiously awaiting the new Harry Potter book due out the end of the month.

Chris' nephew Alex came & stayed with us for the last few days. He was taking some leave time from the Army & Ft. Polk of all places where he is stationed. It's so ironic that he is serving where Chris did. Alex is a special ops guy though. So, he spends ample time in the field playing war games, but has so far managed to keep from being deployed. He has just over a year left on his committment. He was so fun to have around. We shopped, ate good food, went to OMSI, played at the beach, played Xbox & hung out. Craig dragged him off to the driving range 5 minutes after he got here. He was so patient & kind with all of us. He drove up to Tacoma with us for the 4th & is spending his last few days with Kathy & Wally before he heads back to Polk.

We enjoyed a baseball game with Chris' parents the night of July 3rd. The Rainers played the Bees or the Buzz. Which is it? Anyway, SLC was awesome. They had some hard hitters & great pitching. Tacoma tried to come back at the end, but came up 1 run short. They put on a great fireworks show after the game & we got to Chris' parents really late. The party was in full swing out on the pininsula where they live. I think the bangs & booms stopped around 4-5am & then started up again shortly after daybreak. By then Wally, Chris & I were out riding. It was a post-card day! Not a cloud in the sky. I could see the Olympic Mountains & the lakes were glass. We rode a 40 mile roller. Chris & Wally ate it up. I on the other hand thought it was torture! Especially when at mile 36 I'm facing another 5% grade. Ugh! Chris says now I'm ready for the STP which is our next big ride on July 14th.

Kathy & Wally grilled up a storm for the 4th BBQ. Chicken, ribs, brats, dogs, burgers, THE WORKS! It was amazing. Unfortunately for me I was too exhausted to fully enjoy it. My stomach got the better of me after no sleep & a big bike ride. All the little Beecher cousins ran around & had fun. Our kids came home & sat in the driveway & watched our neighborhood do all their fireworks. Chris & I went to bed.

So, I finally posted all the fun pictures from the last few weeks. It's been a busy summer so far! Our ward continues to grow each week with new move-ins. Our stake presidency came this last fast Sunday & put a new bishopric in our ward! Most of the aux's will be reorganized in the coming weeks. Makes going to church a little more interesting when there's changes like that.

I'm looking forward to having my Mom come a week from Friday! Chris will be traveling on business quite a bit this month. So, her help & company will be greatly welcomed. Chris & I are getting our miles in on the bikes while he is in town. I've been running since I've moved up here. I have the Nike plus system that has been tracking all my runs. I completed mile 85 today! (That's 85 miles since February.) That's a milestone for me because I've never run that much in that amount of time before. I'm just about a week from mile 100! Now if could only swim....I could be a triathlete. That's why I've pushed Cassie into that role all these years...because I'm afraid of deep water & can't swim. Maybe someday she & I can do a tri together & she can do the water leg of the event. We'll see.

Stay cool & drink lots of water!

4 comments:

The Dunford Family said...

Sounds like a busy, but fun summer. We'll be off to San Diego next week and then the kids only have one more week after that until school starts, July 23rd.

Jenni said...

WHat a month! You guys have been busy...so glad your mom is coming out to see you...that will be SO much fun for you! Wish we lived closer or I'd come see you--Josh is gone for a few weeks...have a good day!

Steph said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Steph said...

Enjoy the heat! We're getting it over here, too. We're coming to Portland at the end of the month, but I think you'll be gone. We'll have to stop in and say hi to grandma and the cousins...and see your new house! :)