Sunday, August 19, 2007

Heard It Through the Grapevine

7th Annual Vine Ride
Newberg, OR

We got bibs in numerical order!

Team "Kick-in-the-pants" Beecher

I know you're all out there staring at your computer screens waiting for me to post my "ride" report. :-) This was my second century ride this summer. The great thing about this ride was that it started & ended right here in Newberg. The route was about 65% familiar roads that Chris & I had been on before. The morning started out a little chilly, 58 degrees & overcast. Early on in the ride we got to see hot air baloons flying over the valley. It was beautiful. It warmed up fast & by the time we got to the 50 mile stop, I was slathering on sunscreen. We saw a guy who got picked up by a volunteer who had bit it big time & had blood on his face & ripped bike pants. He didn't look well. They called an ambulance & we had taken off again before the EMT's showed up. There was an 800 ft climb about mile 56. I had heard it was a monster & the people at the previous rest stop were talking about "the wall" & "the steep grade" ahead. Well, it wasn't at all what I had built it up to be in my head. Since Chris drags me up Corral Creek at least once a week, this was just another climb, but longer. I just dropped down in my easiest gear & spun. I was more insecure about the decent on the other side. I hate flying faster than 30 mph & my bike wanted to go 35-40mph. I felt like I was going to lose my wheels from underneath me! It's like a free roller coaster ride. Heart pounding & sweaty palms included! The most difficult part of the route was the last 20 miles in the wind & having a sore bum. Chris made a great shield & pulled me in on his back wheel into Newberg. If I had to rate this ride on a scale of 1-10 in difficulty & previous bike event experience, (10 being the hardest), I would give it an 8.5. It was easier than Reach the Beach, much more challenging than the 100 I did on the STP, but less "intense" than last weekend's Tour de Stake. I don't know if any of that mumbo jumbo makes sense. ?

It was a great ride, especially since Wally, Chris & I did it together & it's over. My time was 6 hours 15 minutes.

We have another balmy week of summer vacation planned. Milgard invited the management's family to their budget meeting retreat at the coast this week. I'm looking forward to sourdough bread & clam chowder. Some tanning time would also be nice if the weather cooperates.

The week will end with me lying on the side of the road somewhere between Mt. Hood & Seaside as I attempt to run in the Hood to Coast relay. I'm on a team named, "Organized Chaos" if you can believe it. I should fit right in!

3 comments:

Jens Dunford said...

Okay Christine....you're looking too damn hot! Not fair! Congrats on finishing the ride, I think you're awesome! And good luck in "organized chaos". Sounds like my life! Miss you and love you!
-K

Jenni said...

Check out the bootie!!! SO excited for you and all your fun with riding!!! I got excited for a second when you said you were coming to the coast--then I forgot, you have a coast in Oregon too =). Maybe you can come to the CA coast!!!

Cheri said...

S-E-X-Y!!!