Tuesday, January 06, 2009

Reality is Knocking

I've had a hard time getting motivated this first week of 2009. I'm falling further behind on my to-do list as each day passes. This morning as I was leisurely attempting to get ready for the day, I got a phone call from my stake YW president. As we chatted about our upcoming stake assignments, the sense of urgency started to kick in a little bit. Then she told me we may not have a location locked in for stake girls camp this summer. Yikes! That's about the moment I hit the panic button. Fortunately, she had about 7 different camp location tips for me to check out. The first one on the list was already booked. So, I decided to take a time out moment & let the panic subside.

We all had a nice 3-week winter break. Had it not been for all the major snow storm drama I think we may have enjoyed it more & utilized our days better. But, for the most part we were snowed in & spent many hours watching movies, baking, eating & sleeping. Hence, my body clock is all out of whack.

Craig went on a scout over-nighter up near Mt. Hood last weekend. He had a BLAST! They slept in a BSA lodge & went tubing. He came home with stories about flying 10 feet in the air & playing cards. I'm really grateful that he has such dedicated leaders.

All 3 kids were excited to go back to school yesterday. Sunday night it started snowing again & immediately the text messages started circulating. But, it turned to rain & everything started on schedule Monday morning. I worked in Colin's class yesterday. It is one of my favorite things to do in life! He has the sweetest kindergarten teacher, Mrs. Young. The first thing she did with them yesterday was sit on the rug & let them each take a turn telling what they did during the winter break. They sang happy birthday to Colin since school was canceled on his special day.
After I finished putting all the take-home papers & folders in the kids' backpacks, she let me lead 2 different reading groups. We had recess & I pushed 6 different kids on the swings. I made some copies, laminated & cut a few things. At the end of the day, the class did water-painting. Very relaxing & the kids are so quiet when they do it! It was a nice first day back.

I have not made any New Year's resolutions. Instead, I have started planning our 2009 family calendar around bike rides, EFY's, scout camps, girls camp, and running Hood to Coast. I have a feeling that this fall I will either be working, going back to school or both. So, I'm trying to enjoy my time at home & get all those "home projects" knocked out before September.

5 comments:

Corinne said...

You might want to come to Ca. for a visit to warm up!

Steph said...

You guys should come over and bike around Coeur d'Alene...I know aunt Caran loves it there, so maybe everyone can head over this way this summer ;)

Jenni said...

The beginning of January is usually hard to get into!!! GOod luck on the hunt for a Girl's camp site...come down to Tahoe! I used to go to a fabulous camp when I was a teen!!! How exciting about all the stuff you are planning for!!! School and work? THat's awesome! I know you always looked forward to going back to at least one...miss you!

Jack and Charlene said...

Hugs and positive thoughts for your 2009 Busy Year. You will make it allllllll happen !!

Bob said...

We'll do our best to send some of our warm air and blue skies north to Portland.