Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Pause for Reflection



Sunday I got a very sad phone call from Julie in Simi Valley, CA saying that one of our basketball ladies, Ginger Clinton, had passed away early in the morning from an apparent stroke. Ginger was 30 years old, mother of 4 beautiful children, wife to Jason, sister to many siblings (I think 12?) daughter to wonderful parents & friend to many in the Moorpark/Simi Valley area. I had the opportunity to play basketball with Ginger many Tuesday & Thursday mornings while I lived in the Simi Stake. I'll always remember sitting in my car in the church parking lot watching her gab on her cell phone in her car while we waited for the person with the keys to show up. She would bring her little toe-head blonde boy in his car seat into the gym & he would contently sit & watch us play for over an hour before he succombed to bordem & would start hollering. Her cute little girls would run like fairies around the church with the other girlies & play. Ginger always seemed so calm & collected & always played basketball with great candor & sportsmanship. I also remember her evolving hair color. Blonde, brown, & in-between.

It's hard to explain what great comradery existis in that Simi Stake women's basketball group without taking you there with me & meeting the women in person who create it. Ginger was one of those sweet ladies who quickly welcomed me into that circle when I started participating in the group & I'm sad to think that one of the links of that circle is now missing.

Her funeral is tomorrow in Thousand Oaks. My heart, thoughts, love & hugs go out to all of you...my basketball buddies & sisters in the gospel. I love you, miss you & wish I could be there.

4 comments:

Jenni said...

Oh, that just breaks my heart. I am so sorry for your loss...she seems like she was an awesome lady! HUGS to you!

payneinthe... said...

Thanks so much Christine. You are also one of the links that make up our chain and we wouldnt be the same without you. I look forward to the reunion we will all have someday with our sweet Ginger, and all of our basketball group, now that will be a great game! I know I take for granted these wonderful women I get to see 2 times every week until one moves away or is called on another mission, when what I need to do is try to convey to them the enormous impact they have had on my life, one for which I will never be the same. And you are one of those people, thank you so much!
Also check out Gingers Blog, to always remember what a wonderful woman she is. http://jasondgingerd.blogspot.com

Jill said...

I am so sorry to hear that. It is so hard when things like this happen. She was so young and left behind a beautiful family. Our prayers will be with her loved ones and with you Christine.

Kelly said...

Christine, it was so great to see you when you came down and played basketball with us again. I hope you can visit more often. Actually they now think that Ginger's heart just stopped in her sleep from some extremely rare undiagnosed condition. So sad, we are all missing her so much.