Sunday, September 14, 2008

Just the Highlights

I had such a busy week full of "stuff" that I don't know if I have enough patience to sit here & blog about it all. So, I'll just throw out the highlights:

Week 2 of school was good. Most of our household has fallen into a routine of sorts, with myself being the major exception. I fight routine. We keep running out of bread because everybody keeps making cold lunch. UGH! I would love for Grandma Sycamore's bread company to come make a huge delivery to my house every Sunday night. (that's when we always run out!)

I've been involved in the 7-8th grade girls' soccer soap-opera this past week. They were supposed to start practices after the first day of school, but there was no soccer coach. I ended up becoming what I understood being a co-coach with another mom. I spent all last weekend studying & reading about soccer & coaching soccer. My brother-in-law John even sent me a bunch of emails with website leads for drills & practice sheets. When I showed up for practice Tuesday night with Cassie, the OTHER mom completely took over, assuming she was the sole head coach & basically ignored my intentions to help. Her coaching philosophy is very different than mine & I had a really hard time standing by & keeping my mouth shut. Thursday, she sends me this long email list of things she needs help doing. Basically, she wants me to do all the busy work (pick up uniforms, time water breaks, stretch the girls, make copies & distribute updated roster). I did all of those things, but once again had a hard time standing by keeping my mouth shut during practice. Cassie & the girls have their first game tomorrow. I'm going to sit with the other parents & cheer. I'm not going to force myself into this role. Stay tuned for more on this soccer-mom drama! : )

I spent one day this week sitting in school parent group meetings. One was for Colin's elementary school & the other was for C&C's middle school. They were both very interesting, especially for me since the last PTA meeting I attended was back in the spring of 2002. It pleasantly surprised me that there are other moms who have similiar concerns about school related issues as I do! It was an enlightening day.

It was nice to go visiting teaching without a child this week!

Thursdays I volunteer in Colin's classroom. I LOVE IT! Many enlightening experiences.

Our stake YW's have already begun planning for 2009. We spent a few hours tossing around theme ideas for youth conference, Beehive conference, girl's camp & YWIE.

Craig decided he wants to play the trombone in band. We rented one this week & I think Colin was equally as excited as he was! (I'll post a picture later.)

Cassie & I went to the varsity girls' water polo game against Beaverton Friday night. Cassie is already pegged to be a starter next season when she gets to high school. Newberg has an awesome water polo program & terrific coach who already has bonded with Cassie. The Tigers walloped Beaverton, 20-2!

Yesterday was Chris' company picnic. Chris sat in a dunk tank for 15 minutes. I have photos of that too I'll post later. : )

Craig played his second football game of the season against N. Marion. It was a home game & they played on the NHS field. I had to be in Milwaukie for a mini-EFY for 9 hours & missed it. : (
But, Chris sent me updates via text. Craig scored his team's first touchdown on a 50 yard run! He ended up with 7 carries for 132 yards! (and I MISSED IT!!!!) But, they lost 18-12. You'll have to read Chris' report on the game. I won't do it justice since I MISSED IT!!!!

Cassie & I spent the afternoon & evening at the Milwaukie stake center at a mini-EFY with 560 other youth. The speakers were really entertaining, but the Dominos Pizza for dinner was a huge disappointment. The kids danced & had fun. I bought all the refreshments for the dance & spent most of the evening refilling things, talking to the other stake leaders & gabbing with the youth. I really enjoy hanging out chaperoning dances, but I'm a night person. Some of the other leaders were waaaaay past their bedtimes.

Today was OUR ward conference. So, I got to stay in my own ward. Yea!

I think we're on some kind of dry-spell streak here in Portland. We're almost to something like 21 straight days of no rain! LOVE IT!!!

5 comments:

Jack and Charlene said...

Great Post !! Thanks for answering ALLLLL my questions on the weekend. Looking forward to the photos.

Bob said...

Way to run the ball, Craig! Good luck in your soccer/mom/coach soap opera, Christine! What day are your coming to Eagle?

stephensfamily said...

It is a busy time!I love how involved you are! Your kids will reap those blessings as well as yourself!

Stephanie said...

Don't let other soccor mom stop you from what you are best at! I wouldn't keep my mouth shut and I would have probably been asked to leave by now. What a busy week you had and what was that - visiting teaching with no kids - what is that like? Can you do a post just on that for those of us who are still taking 3 kids with them?

Jenni said...

hahah---totally with Steph on the no kids thing (except I'm only sporting two...I'm a slacker, I know) You are keeping so darn busy! That's great! And seriously, who does this soccer lady think she is? Tell her to move over and take a seat! =)